Monday, October 4, 2010

Keep it or dump it?

This November my car lease is up. I had designs to end the lease, and not get a new car--only bike commute. My dude could not believe this was possible. I went on a rant about the benefits of bike commuting and to really do it, and mean it, you have to do it without a car. Recently, he brought some important perspective to my attention:
1. what happens if I want to transport the puppy to and fro?
2. what happens if I have a last minute site inspection or client appt. to go too?
3. what happens if I have people in town and want to scoop them at airport?

there were a slew of "what happens"?''s..all of which I met with great answers regarding "Smart Car" for the day and rental car type stuff...However, we did a little financial analysis and keeping my car/extending the lease or getting a new car is less expensive than the budgeted last minute work stuff that may pop up. So....with more careful deliberation--I may be keeping the car come November. We will see how this shakes out. If I do keep the car, then, I am going to still commit to only use it when I have too.....

1 comment:

  1. Those are really good reasons to keep the car. It is actually pretty tough adjusting to a life without one after you’ve had one for so long. The travelling convenience itself is pretty hard to leave behind, but you can still push through with bicycle commute or public transport to save on gas, with your car ready to use anytime for necessary situations.

    Nettie Christensen

    ReplyDelete