Thursday, May 5, 2011

Bike Month

It's been a while since a post. And then..........................today I was blasted with bike stuff. A friend who works at SPARK posted an awesome video about teaching kids healthy habits early such as riding your bike everywhere. It reminded me.....why haven't I updated my blog? I have been bike riding, just not writing about it. Last night was the first meeting for 2011 Bike The Bay--my friends Andy and Sandy proudly started this awesome ride years ago, and was one of the bike inspirations for me. Another friend posted a question on her Facebook about daring people to ride their bike to work..I posted back about how riding my bike to work 2 years ago for 30 days changed my life...and then I went back to the blog. It's Bike to Work month, the weather is awesome and it's time to chronicle this stuff again. Going back to my blog I found an old comment from a local reporter that I never read...shame on me--I wish I would have seen it back in November when he posted...tisk tisk hand slapped...I called him back. His post said he's in the early stages of writing an article about bike commuting and wanted to ask me some questions about my experience. I knew I was late, BUT, if someone is going to write about it, I definitely wanted to weigh in...this experience changed my life. He left his contact info in my blog but before calling, I wanted to know who I was talking too. It was probably the OCD, sales person, Nancy Drew investigator in me that lead me to google him--but--I needed to know who I was talking too before I just called an alleged reporter...So...I googled Bob. Low and behold...Bob wrote an article about "Pedal Power" today. He tackled the Bachman Hill--a hill I have had a love/hate relationship with, and he wrote about it. I identified completely with his story of needing to be at a reception, not be sweaty, leave before dark...etc. Reminded me of when i first started bike commuting and I was not wearing a helmet, did not have night lights and sometimes rode on a flat because I didn't know how to change one.... So, I rang Bob. I said "Bob, I just got your comment on my blog about talking to me about Bike commuting and I realize I am really late. I just saw your article today in the newspaper and apologize for not getting back to you." He said, "well it might not be too late. I am in day 4 of bike commuting and still would like to talk" He asked what I was doing now and if I am still biking. I told him I am riding my bike every chance I get unless I have to drive to Orange County on an appointment, but, working from home makes my bike commute real easy:) I am excited to talk to Bob about all the silly things that happen when you make a change like this to your life, all the bag packing and time management, the community tools and resources that are available that I never knew about...and....all the bike-isodes...From finger wagging to Kamikazi red right running to quick super woman outfit changes.... I am really excited for people when they start this journey.....it's empowering. Between the bike to work month, the FB posts, and the blog comments--I am back in the saddle. I wonder if I do a reunion--30 day back at it trial????? And....after reading this I realize....I have a lot of updates to share regarding bikes....next post...update post.

No comments:

Post a Comment