Monday, May 16, 2011

To the Brewfest

And so we rode 11.4 miles from North Park to Karl Strauss Beach to Brew. It was fun. The glory of riding in a group is to have everyone go together. This day, we had all sorts of mishaps. My perfect day looks like this: We all meet at my house and travel in a wolf pack to the festival. We hold formation on the OB Bike path and we look like BMX bandits--+25 years. However, this day had all sorts of follies. One friend had a flat tire, and then the other friend did. 2 men down, we biked to bike shop, while they drove. 3 of us rode to Old Town to meet our friend the Woodsman. Now there were 4. With plans of the other 2 trailing us by truck to Fiesta Island, we set off for the adventure. My esteemed first mate, who knew of the route in advance, and insisted I don't write it down--because of course he'd remember...asked me "which direction we should go" in the first 5 minutes of the plan. I said, with patience, "Why don't we follow the route we planned--PCH to OB Bike Path to Fiesta Island to Mission Bay Golf Course--which is where we'd pick up Rose Canyon Trail". He said "I don't remember the way ports, but I know where I am going" What the hell is a way port? And...if you know where you're going, why are you asking me where to go? So.....off we went, we got lost a couple times. Each time I was infuriated with each pedal. I was thinking--why did you insist on me not writing it down, then tell me you know where you're going, but then ask me where to go. I let him lead. When we finally figured out the direct route to Rose Canyon, one rider and I were far ahead of the group. We looked back and realized "wayporter" and woodsman were no where to be found. We sat at the entrance to Rose Canyon Trail for 15 minutes before we got in touch with wayporter and woodsman. They decided to take a "quicker" route. In ultimate frustration I asked, "why did you go off the plan?" Wayporter said, "I'll explain later" I told him we were riding to the corner of Damon and Sante Fe and to meet us there. Guess what???? We got there first. Their so called short cut, was a long cut---he must not have known where the wayports were. Finally--we all rode to the entrance of the festival together--to meet the rest of our gang--and a day of fun, festivals and beer had begun. Word to the wise: Rose Canyon Trail is a great way to ride from North PB through Mission Beach. Love that trail. It's not very well lit at night, but, during the day it's great....goes under Garnet and Grande.

No comments:

Post a Comment