Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bike Transportation Account....

Have you ever heard of this? I haven't. I sit here and type with a brace on my right hand and a left eye that is pink, along with a sniffle and a sneeze every 20 seconds. I went to the doctor semi healthy and came out with 3 ailments. Needless to say, I have a bit of time on my hands tonight to research something new I learned today--Bike Transportation Account. Apparently, there is one. And..apparently in 2007 San Diego got NO money from it. Big ole goose egg. In 2008, we got $135K for signage-thank God. 2009--$1.8 million??? Where do these allocations come from? For the past 3 years the state of California has allocated $7.2 million same amount...not a penny more or less. So...one of the other counties aren't spending their money, so they don't bump it up for the next year, or, no one asked for more...or we're broke. It's probably a bit of all 3. I'm just learning about this, but, wouldn't it be groovy if some of this money went to the Bike Station plan? I think it would.

I need to know...who establishes this BTA? How do we get some money out of it for a Bike Station? Who's in charge? That's our next step. In the meantime, I found that there are 2 allocations out of the BTA 2009/10 budget. 1. $425K Class 1 Bike Way San Luis Rey River by Tyler Street & N. Sante Fe Drive. 2. $1.4 million bones to construct 2 miles of class 1 bikeway between Vista & San Marcos. What is a Class 1 bike way you ask? I had the same question... The following is a list of bike paths in San Diego County.
Class 1 Bikeway provides a completely separated right of way for the exclusive use of bicycles and pedestrians with crossflow by motorists minimized. So, how do these people get the money? What can we do to get the money for a Bike Station in San Diego? If I were a Bike Station jeanie...I would put 2 of them in San Diego. 1 in downtown San Diego and 1 in LaJolla/Sorrento Valley area. This is what I do when I don't ride my bike...I obsess about ways to make my bike riding life better in San Diego. Back to the bike. I haven't ridden my bike a ton this week because I have been working from home most of the week since I have this weird Mexican ailment. Saturday, it will rain. I need to be at work at 7:30 for a breakfast meeting. I then merge over to the Bike Coalition retreat. I love me a good brainstorm session. very exciting. Then....I go babysit for my friends. I will be on bike for all adventures. This may be my first activity day in the rain on my bike. Stories to follow...

1 comment:

  1. The BTA is a grant program that Caltrans administers. The money for the program, ($7.2 million/yr) comes from the State Highway Account, which is to say from the state gas tax. Cities and Counties are eligible to apply, but they must have a adopted bicycle transportation plan approved by Caltrans. If you want a bike station in San Diego, it would help if the new city bike plan included a recommendation for bike stations. I hope this helps. -Stephan

    ReplyDelete