Saturday, January 23, 2010

Flipped Off by a Blue Hair......

Ok...we all know I am a new bike rider. We all know that I am still learning the "rules of the road". In all my bike travels I am always nice to the peoples. Today, I was thrilled to ride my bike. I was in SanFran all week, it was raining on Monday & Tuesday--although I had my slicker--I was super excited for the sun I saw this morning....I walked down to work where I left Baby Blue for a slumber party. On my walk---I had the right of way. I was on the corner of K and 6th. Car was stopped. I crossed---the math on this was in line and good. The car behind stop sign #1--started speeding toward me. So......I stopped---right in front of that speeding car. I looked that dude right in the eye--gave him a big smile--and a finger wag--of course--and said--"Be Smart Mister---Be very careful" Then...I kept walking....I looked back, he beeped his horn really loud--rolled down his window--and flipped me off---times 4. There were 4--70+ year old dudes in the car--and they flipped me off. It was really funny--So....I ran to the corner---just before they turned right at the next stop sign.....I stood there, gave them a HUGE smile, and waved at them. They flipped me off again. I am normally a fan of the blue hairs. Typically, I'll soak up their wisdom or just be a part of their world since they have so much more experience than me. I rarely bump into an angry blue hair--especially when I am a pedestrian with the right of way almost getting barrelled over by a silver rental mini van--but--I have to say--this was the best angry driver moment yet. I scooped up my bike from the hotel and rode home. It's so pretty and sunny today. There's a lil' crispness in the air that reminds me of Ohio football weather...and...there is still a ton of debris in the road from all the storms. Something has happened to my bike in the last week. It was really slow going up the Island street hill and there's a clicking sound. I don't know what that is. If only there was a Bike Station near by---I could engage in a learning session with their station manager and he/she could show me the wonderous ways of my injured Baby Blue. Speaking of Bike Station---I sent an email to San Martin with Sandag today and left him a voice message. I have not heard back from Curt Letz from UCSD. I hear they are working on plans for a Bike Station up there. Our next Bike Coalition meeting is coming up and I'd love to hear from Maria Fillipi--of Sandag, Dan Martin--of Sandag and Curt Letz--from UCSD so I can be armed with some back up info and pitch the Bike Station idea to the Urban Core committee...........
My neighbor friend Curtis said he'd look at my bike for me. I hope he can find the secret to why it's so slow.

Tomorrow we head out on a nice bike ride to Point Loma.....

No comments:

Post a Comment