Saturday, October 17, 2009

I Cheated....ish...

Well, alot has happened in the last 72 hours. Some notables:
1. I made it 1 week without driving my car!--HOORAY!
2. I am incredibly sleep deprived and am writing this with 1 eye open---
3. I've learned alot about bus/bike etiquette--let's just call this one-"trial & error"--mostly error--
4. I already knew my neighbor/friends were the coolest people in the world--but--their random act of kindness tonight, coupled with their endless knowledge of bikes--and the accessories to follow, bumps them into the rock star-a-rama category-for sure.

So, I cheated--I think. You be the judge and let me know. The Harvest Fest was great. The unicorn that scooped me up for the adventure was Kim--(my friend and Bill's girlfriend). She was a great driver. It was the 1st time I was in a car in 5 days. Previous to that--all bike rides. If there's 3 of us in the car, and it's not my car, and I am not driving--we're still saving gas and saving the planet--right? I call this the "little white lie" cheat. Harvest fest was fun, filled with wines o plenty, a dueling chef cook off, and a beer stand. We lost track of time when Bill made us leave in a mad dash realizing he was late to the concert. He forgot his phone in the unicorn's car, and my hands were full with my camera, beer and that weird plastic plate with the hole in the side that also holds your wine glass. Good for networking events--bad for girls with bad balance--like me. Needless to say, I was not looking at my phone--or the time--when we realized it was 9:15--YIKES.. We were suppose to call the unicorn for the pick up so Bill and Unicorn can go to the concert. The next thing I know I was racing outside with Bill. Let's add in that Bill is 6 foot 1 million and I am 5 foot nothing, so, his 1 stride is 7 for me. He was sauntering out the door--I was sprinting. Before I knew it, Bill was trying to give me money for a cab, I declined--I didn't realize until I got in the cab why we was flashing 20 spots at me like I was a Taiwanese Connect 4 Champion, and then I hopped in my own cab. We parted ways... I went home. Unicorn and I caught up on the phone and it seemed like everyone's night ended up OK. This was the 2nd time i cheated... Is taking a cab, with 1 other person--that person being "the driver" cheating? It was a moment of weakness with 20 dollar bills flying at me, and a mad dash was involved. I think I can also let this one slide as "the little white lie that never could?" I am going to pretend like it never happened. So, in 1 day, I had 2 car rides. Next day, I had to do the grand daddy of all packing when I had to prepare for being at work all day long, into the night, and to get myself home that night, somehow without cheating again. So...I rode my bike in--my back pack was so full, it was busting at the seems...literally. I got to work, and realized, I had to do 2 airport pick ups for customers. I had to drive the company car which is a Prius. Again, it's a Prius, and each time I had 2+ passengers---is that cheating?? I think it's an authorized cheat. What was I gonna do, tell my clients to ride on my handle bars?? I think this was an OK exception to the rule. The day and night went by very very fast and furious when I realized it was midnight, and I had to be back at work the next morning at 7:30 AM. All wound up, not being able to sleep, not having my head light for my helmet, and no reflective vest in sight...I cheated for the 4th time--I took a cab!!!! This one was a bad cheat. I could have taken the bus. I got home, laid awake for hours just trying to settle down from my very exciting 2 days at work, and finally fell asleep at 2ish. 530 rolled around the next morning, and I sprung out of bed. My bike is at work, i am at my house, and I can't take a cab in. So....I got ready, gave myself 3o minutes and walked in. It was a nice morning walk. It was a little sprinkly outside, which is weird for San Diego...but, it felt good. I went through my work day, again--very fast and very furious, and ended at 5pmish. So.....do all of these "cheats" really count? Could any of them be "prevented"?? The Unicorn carpool and the client pick up/drop offs in the Company Prius are acceptable. Definitely, hall pass worthy. The cab home from Harvest and from client dinner could have been prevented. I could have taken the bus each time. And....now that I am a near-expert with the bus routes in San Diego, and know how easy it would have been to get a bus from both spots...I should have taken it. To make up for my cheats, and now that I've told on myself....I will add 2 days onto the 30 day trial. It will now end on November 13th. I think it's fair...don't you???

More about the bus etiquette, the errors and the coolest neighbors ever, next time... For now...hitting the hay...all this cheating and fast /ferociousness is exhausting...

1 comment:

  1. Manda...I would hardly constitute any of this cheating. The rule (at least I thought) was that you were not supposed to drive YOUR car. As a girl w/ a one car household, carpooling or taking cabs is still helping the environment by keeping one more car off the road. Now stop being so hard on yourself. As long as you haven't driven Vanessa (isn't that what we named her?) you haven't cheated!

    ReplyDelete