Monday, October 12, 2009

The Trip to the Airport......

10/12/09, 7:52 PM...The Airport Ride....Well, I did it. I left my house at 5:15 AM this morning on Baby Blue, made it there by 5:50 for my 6:35 flight to San Fran. Made it back to SD by 6:15 P tonight, and home by 7:00 P sharp. Those are the basics. Here's the meat in between...

It's really dark in October at 5:15 AM. I couldn't find my helmet light, so, I opted for a reflective jacket. (mom, that was your influence..thanks for the idea) There is absolutely nothing on the roads in San Diego in the morning except for buses and homeless people. Buses are very cautious, as was I. The homeless people edge the outline of Harbor Drive. It is so Serene to ride on the bay so early in the morning. The water is so still, and it is so silent, so nice. I was having a moment of serenity on my bike, with my reflective vest, without my helmet light, in the dark, on the way to the airport, without my iPod blaring in my ears when I accidentally ran over a homeless man's hand. He grunted at me. I think it was a man, if not, it was a very masculine grunt from a very broad shouldered homeless woman wearing a Snuggie. You see....the edging of the sidewalk on harbor drive is real rickety. It twists and turns and curves, and frankly, I was too afraid to ride on the street because of the mad dash people were making for the airport. As I approached Harbor Island area, I started riding on the side walk, and discovered buffets of homeless people. In an effort to not fall in the water, and dodge the homeless man to my right, I ran over a homeless hand on the left. I said I was sorry and sped away. He/She seemed OK. If my iPod was blaring, I would not have heard it. Thank the heavens I was enjoying my moments of morning silence, otherwise I would have thought the homeless hand was just another curve, bump in the road. At least I got in an apology. Speaking of curves and bumps in the road.....can we all say a prayer to the bike Gods for my nether regions?? Riding a bike every day is great cardio and great for my quads, but, there has to be a solution to my ailing nether regions. I am not talking about my ass....use your imagination..but, I am sure I look like I have been riding a horse for 4 days. Do you think there is a special seat, or shorts, or padding a girl can find to protect her nether regions? The "nethers" only hurt as soon as I hop on my bike. It goes away minutes later when I have to refocus on the bumps in the road and dodging homeless people...but, the pain is insane. I have learned a recent survival skill which is to stand up off my seat when I go over a big curve. That prevents some of the nether region pain. I arrived at the airport at 5:50 A and found the bike rack in Terminal 1 near the parking lot. The bike parking area is about the same as what you'd see at McDonalds. It's 2 curly red racks. The bike racks at my work are more sophisticated, and secure. I was running late, so, I got through security, made a mad dash for the bathroom, changed out of my ride clothes and into my work clothes then borded the airpolane. I am pretty sure I looked/smelled like sweat at my meetings today. This is something I need to work on..because, it's gross, and not very presentable. I can only get away with the "I rode my bike in...." excuse so many times before I become "that girl" in the office.. Meetings in San Fran were great, I changed back into riding gear at SFO to ensure a comfy ride back, and saddled up my back pack for the ride home. Upon arriving back to SD tonight, there was my Baby Blue. She was all in tact and not stolen off the not-so-safe red rack. I realize....cars do not care if you're on the road. I am just as guilty of a driver as anyone, but, I made a maternal finger wag more than once at an inattentive driver or two when it was my turn to cross. They decided to just keep driving.....Come hell or high water, we'll raise driver awareness, even if I have to run over homeless people and wreck my nether regions...at least there will be better drivers out there.. So, here I am 8.6 miles later...safe and sound. I just ordered a new light for my helmet. (yes mom, I will go 2 or 3 days without my light)...but I will wear my reflective jacket as a decent substitute. My first big challenge is down, next one.....How to go to a fund raiser on Thursday with my friend Bill--without being sweaty when I show up....and not use my car??? I have 2 days to figure it out....any ideas?

4 comments:

  1. Love the blog! I'm so excited you are trying this grand experiment!
    As for nether-regions soreness. It might be temporary as you get used to riding so much. Or you might want to go to a bike shop and invest in a more comfortable seat - it takes a couple of tries to get a seat that doesn't push or pinch in the wrong spots. But even if you decide to wait it out or get a new seat, you're gonna want to buys some padded shorts. You can buy them as underwear, or regular cycling shorts. Seriously, make the investment. You won't be sorry. Trust me on this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to second the bike shorts recommendation. Nobody loves the diaper/spandex look, but it will save your woman-town. Trust me. I resisted at first, but I will never go back. My friend who just started riding finally got a pair of the "squishy shorts" as she calls them and was amazed at how much they help. Just FYI: There is no way around the process of getting used to the seat. "You don't break in a bike seat...it breaks you in." Good luck! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also going to suggest the squishy shorts. People @ work who are avid bike riders wouldn't dream of riding w/out them. Any bike store should have them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally dislike the shorts (even though the padding is helpful). My ass is large enough that I don't need to enlarge it even more.

    I recommend a break. And wearing lose fitting clothes like a skirt (pants always make everything scrunched up and a tad more than they need to)

    ReplyDelete