Sunday, October 11, 2009

Shout Outs and Progress

10/11/09: Day 2. Yesterday was easy peezy. I had to be at work and be all "prettied up" to meet with clients and walk around the hotel. How did I ride my bike to work in bike clothes, then be ready without looking gross for work? Well, I'm glad you asked.
In my satchel of goodness I packed: work outfit, high heels, body spray, lotion, a fresh change of skivvies, and hair clay. I like the hair clay--it tames my wild Croatian mane. I hit the road. iPod on my ears, Cake and Radiohead playing as the awesome SD breeze whisked past me. I was cautious down the big hill, because I forgot my helmet. It only took me 13 minutes to get to work from my house. It takes me that long to drive to work, so, we're seeing that bike vs. car on the way to work is a wash in terms of time. But, I don't normally hang my head out my window while I drive, so, bike gets a +3 for atmosphere on the work commute. Got to work, presto change-o, hopped out of bike clothes, got my beauty bag, into work clothes and ready to go by 5:50 PM for my appt. It was super easy. The key here is that I have a beauty bag in my office. My work mates know it's there and from time to time they enjoy a spritz of my hypoallergenic deodorant or some face lotion too. It's stocked with everything a gal needs for a quick primp. The best part is that it's PINK. All beauty bags should be PINK--don't you think? I'm lucky because my work has bike racks inside the parking garage, so, I locked Baby Blue up and went to work. A gal pal scooped me up to go to another gal pal's Halloween Harvest Party. This is where I learned I made a misstep in yesterday's entry. You see, I was double dared by a stranger at Tour De Fat to sell my car and only ride my bike or transport myself on foot. That was a big concept, that I couldn't quite get my brain around. While at "The Tour" I tossed the idea to my friends, and my fantastic friend BILL recommended I take it slow and try out a "30 Day Trial" with bike only. Then, that night, I went to see Julie & Julia, the movie. Between the blogging about Julia Childs and Bill's brilliant idea of the trial period, a Blog Was Born! Thank you Bill! Speaking of Shout Outs....my friend Kim is campaigning for her own personal Shout Out in the Dedication Page in my book. She gingerly suggested, "Just consider it"... And...I still am....

So, it's 12:17 PM on a Sunday. I am here at my house. My bike and satchel o goodness are down at work. Next step......walk to work, get my bike and satchel, and ride to the airport. I need to test ride how long it will take to get to the airport. Work to the airport and my house to the airport is about the same distance. I need to do some practice timing for tomorrow's adventure. I leave for San Francisco tomorrow on a 6 AM flight. It's a quickie in/out trip...but...I need to tote my laptop, various work items, and a change of clothes in my satchel, all while being at the airport by 5:00 AM. I'm thinking I need to leave by 4:30 A. I get back at 11:00 PM tomorrow night, so, that ride home is going to be interesting. Definitely a flashing light on the helmet moment. Let's see what happens...... More to follow tomorrow...

Score So far: Bike 3, Car 0.

Advice given or quotes so far from people after explaining this mission:
"I hope you don't get hit by a car"--random man in suit at Hammilton's Pub

"I think you need 2 more lights for your ass"--friend Bill. (I did retort with-"have you seen my ass? there is no chance of ANYONE missing that thing"

No comments:

Post a Comment