Sunday, October 11, 2009

Very Humbling Stats

10/11/09, I'm back again. I was researching how long it will take me to get to the airport tomorrow morning. In the process, I learned some very humbling stats.

Home to work: 2.3 miles.
Work to airport: 3.6 miles
Home to airport: 4.3 miles

A serious rider should ride 1 mile in 3 minutes, An average rider, 1 mile in 4 minutes...ME---I ride 1 mile in 5.6 minutes....That really blows. I am going to need to step up my game. So, now, we have a new goal---get to 4 minute miles before the end of the 30 day trial.

Some other interesting info.....The San Diego airport has a bike rack under the elevator in Terminal 1. It does not have a locker/refresh or bike station. Other cities like Long Beach, Seattle and Palo Alto have "Bike stations". Apparently, at a bike station, you can store your bike, get it repaired, buy equipment, and even get a quick refresh. That sure beats the beauty bag. I emailed a great lady at the San Diego Bike Coalition to see if there was anything like that in San Diego... details to follow. In the most recent issue of FAST COMPANY, a CEO named: Andrea White-KJoss is profiled. She is the CEO for Mobis Transportation/Bikestation. She gave some interesting info and stats: "Our existing transportation system has been built around the automobile-parking, service, fuel..." "The biggest reasons people give for not biking to work are fear of theft and inconvenience of showing up to work sweaty..." She goes on to talk about the beauty of the Bikestation, and that for every parking spot for a car, 36 bikes can be stored in the same sized space. It's interesting that in San Diego, such a biker community, that we don't have something like the Bikestation? Perhaps we do, and since I am a "rookie rider" I just don't know it yet. When I find out....I'll report in...

Resources so far:
Mapmyride.com
Fast Company September 09 issue
Good ole, picking up the tele and calling the SD Airport....

1 comment:

  1. Hey, it's great to see you working on this experiment. Saw your post on SDbikecommuter and wanted to make sure you were aware of Bike San Diego, our local online news source for all things bicycling (transportational, anyway):

    www.bikesd.org

    We've added you to our list of local bike blogs, and we wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete