Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Night Riding....Lessons Learned...

Day 17, and I rode 7 miles today. Have you ever heard the song by REM called "Night Swimming"? Apparently it's about skinny dipping. This post is not. However, the piano riff in that song is in my mind as I say to myself, "Night Riding" and replace the proper words to the REM song over and over on my ride tonight. Some things I've learned:

1. 3rd gear is the best gear to use when riding on 30th street between north park to south park.
2. Ear buds (basically iPods) are illegal to wear when riding on public streets on your bike.
3. The head light on your bike needs to be able to shine at least 30 feet in front of you.
4. One can not ride a bike on a side walk in a "business zone"..aka--the gaslamp district...
5. Island Street is still my favorite street to ride out of downtown---easy incline into Golden Hill, never many Kamikaze drivers to worry about, and I can cruise straight through...There are several homeless people and questionable "neighborhood-ish" people along that street, but, they are seemingly harmless when you're greased lightning like me on my Baby Blue.

Don't even ask me how I learned all of that in one night, but, let's chalk it up to another, "Trial and Error" moment or 4. So, I had a crappy day at work and decided to meet some friends at Toronado after work for beer and Mac/Cheese. Of course, I am on my bike, so I give the traditional disclaimer--"I think I'll be there in 30 minutes or so, but, give me an hour just to be safe". My friends are so awesome and supportive of this mission, so, they kindly go along.

So, I took Island to 16th to B to 19th to Pershing. The stretch between B, 19th, Pershing was super scary....it's really dark and there's not much of a bike trail. The climb up Pershing is awesome--and semi tough. It's super gradual, but, it's long enough to break a sweat. The cars speed up that hill. My new front headlight and back flashing light were installed earlier today. All it cost me was a box of chocolate chip cookies, and the promise of home made ones by next Monday. I made it to Toronado from downtown in 30 minutes flat...and that Plant to Pint Pizza Port beer was fantastic. The ride home was exhilarating. Brisk air, 10 minutes, totally flat--30th was awesome and Bloc Party was playing in my ear. I know, I know...it's totally illegal, but, it's all about the experience. Nothing could make me happier at that moment than to cruise down the street on a short ride listening to Block Party with the safe light flashing in the back and my 30 foot headlight on the front of my bike. Best part--I looked like a total dork. Picture this: pony tail, glasses, helmet, bike lights---It was a page straight out of Dork City--and I loved it!

1 comment: