Monday, November 23, 2009

Day 45---

Today I really appreciated my bike lights. Granted---they need to be tightened up and their sorta dangling on the front and the back--they're still in tact and visible. They're much more visible than those of a fella I almost ran into today while on the ride home from work. It's dark at like 4 pm now--it's literally like December in Ireland--it starts getting dark so early..so, when I leave work at 630 on a Monday night...it's dark. I rode up Island street--in my mind I convinced myself I was being followed by someone that wanted to steal my 14 year old Jansport--which of course forced me into a pedal sprint up that hill. I was literally heaving and hoeing up that blessed hill--made it to B street finally--when an object came riding at me. It was a fellow biker on the wrong side of the street without a helmet or lights. If I had more notice I definitely would have given him a finger wag---but--no time as I swerved out of the way. I did manage to slip in a "Wrong Side of the Road--DUDE"....it was such a burn. In other news---I got an email back from Dominic at Bike Station Long Beach. He told me to email me some questions and then we'll chat live when I am up there on 12/1 in between appointments. Very excited. I also emailed my employer the fringe benefits section of the IRS Commuter page. Apparently I can claim $230 less per month if I use my bike as my only mode of transport. There are other fringe benefits. I am hoping my employer takes this as seriously as I do. Not only could it be positive tax implications for me for 2010, but, it saves them loads of money on Payroll taxes. The amount of people that ride their bikes to my work need to be aware of this and we need to join together to be sure our employer takes it seriously and takes action on it. Both my management company and parent company cultures are all about Saving the Planet, Health and Work-Life Balance--it shouldn't be that hard to convince them to read the IRS doc and advise all of us what our options are. Just for good measure, I sent an email to the fella at the IRS and at icommutesd.com just to be sure I really understand. More to follow....

1 comment:

  1. I had trouble w/ bike salmon while bike commuting, too; just part of life, I guess. I'm glad to hear you are doing well, and I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete