Thursday, November 26, 2009

Day 48--Staring at people in their cars....

So, it's turkey day. I know I will eat more than I should later today. I woke up and immediately hit the streets for a workout--sans bike---we're having a "break away" today. A "break away" is a term my Aunt Dena and I coined. We use it during our vacations together. The first "break away" was when we went to Prague in 2002. She really wanted to go to the symphony and I really wanted to sit with the bohemians on town square and watch them make up songs and strum on the guitar. So, we decided we'd part ways, each do our own activity, and meet up when we were done. We called it a "break away"...ever since, we've had them. In Croatia, 5 years later, we wanted to hike over to the local farmer's market--while our traveling companions wanted to layout on the beach. What did we do???? We had a "break away". I introduced the "break away" to my cousin AARON recently. He was in town visiting for his birthday. He wanted to go see USS MIDWAY. I wanted to get my nails done. What did we do??? We had a "break away". It's a no drama, little reprieve, from something--or someone--just for a short time. So, today, I'm having a "break away" from my bike. Tomorrow I have a bazillion errands to run--so, Baby Blue and I won't be separated for long. While I was having my "break away" today, I did a 30 minute boot camp using the stairs and picnic bench in the park behind my house. My old trainer LES taught me the best routines that you can do using your own body weight, and any raw materials--anywhere---. Uneven surfaces, steps, picnic benches, parking blocks--all good things for the home made boot camp. After the boot camp, I had some extra time until turkey day festivities, so, I went for a walk. I decided I would pay close attention to what people do when they drive today. One of the biggest problems with riding your bike everywhere is that you always have to be on the defense. If you choose to ride your bike on the road--as I do--all the time--you are in constant war with cars. The biggest problems with cars while on your bike is that--drivers don't pay attention. Mom's are yelling at their kids. Dads are checking out some bodacious babe. Everyone is texting or talking on their phone illegally. New lovers are making out. Old lovers are fighting. Everyone behind the wheel is basically doing anything, except looking at the road in front of them or around them. So...today, I set out, to look into cars. What exactly are people doing while they are driving? My findings were upsurd. I spotted 4 nose pickers, 3 singers--top of lungs singing...one song was "Proud to be an American"--I endorse that one since it is Thanksgiving and all. A couple guys were talking on their phone. 2 cars were talking to each other through the window, while driving... At a stop light, one guy--didn't event stop--he just blazed straight through. The moral of the story....if you're driving--PAY ATTENTION to the road and your surroundings. If you're not driving...make eye contact with as many drivers as you can and ride/walk on the offense. Be aware and prepared that no one behind a wheel is really driving or even paying attention to the road.

Staring into people's cars today was a great reminder for me. I enjoyed my 1 day break away from Baby Blue....and am looking forward to our reunion tomorrow. Absense sure does make the heart grow fonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment