Sunday, November 29, 2009

Modes of transport..I hit them all today...

I started out the day on bike retrieval. I left it in University Heights for a sleepover last night. I slept in my own bed, and Baby Blue shacked up on a parking meter on Park Blvd in front of El Zarape. So, I left the house this morning on foot to hike up through the park, over the hill and into University Heights to retrieve Baby Blue. Along the way I had some objectives. I wanted to watch the Chargers game, buy a bathing suit, take photos of my car for the big car lease swap...etc. This would require going to many pockets of town in San Diego and many modes of transport including foot, bike, bus, trolley. So....off I went... 1st stop--Pizza! I went to a new place in U Heights called Gourmet Pizza Express on Park blvd. across from Small Bar. Had a panini, bottle of water and watched the start of the Chargers game. I got bored--they looked great---so, scooped up baby blue. She was in full tact, ready for the adventure. I rode down to Texas street and I TOOK ON THAT HILL!! Can you believe it?? It's a 15% grade, and cars were whizzing by me. I was a total wuss on that hill and had my breaks on the whole time. The interesting thing about that hill is that it's all down hill with a bike lane. Then POOF--just like that--the bike lane goes away and it becomes the merging on ramps for 8 EAST and 8 WEST. People fly down that hill and onto the highway....I was alert and afraid for my life...but...alas---I made it to Target. One trick about Texas street is although it is a bike lane, there are 3 HUGE pot holes in it. HUGE meaning 2 x 2 in circumference for sure. Thank goodness I was paying attention otherwise that would have been a real tire poppin' moment. I got my suit for my upcoming Mexico wedding....then...scooted across the street to the trolley. I've taken my bike on the bus, but never on the trolley. This was an experience. I had a little time on my hands and wanted to workout boot camp style down town...so...I hopped on the Green Line headed West to Old Town, where I planned to switch trolley to the blue line downtown. Trolley arrived, doors open, the stairs are steep!! So, on the trolley, there's no "rack" per say. It's every man/bike/anything on wheels for himself. I had to put my bike on my left shoulder because as we know I have a looming back injury on the right side. I had to push the button with my right hand, open the door with the same hand, use my left hand and shoulder to shelf my bike as I walked up 4 very steep and narrow steps to get into the trolley. The front wheel was flailing everywhere, it hit the guy in front of me, scraped my left forearm and I tripped up the last step. I got on that damn trolley and sat down. Getting off was about as awkward as getting on. Same story, except the door closed on me as I was leaving, and a very nice stranger pressed the button for me again. I was obviously a "challenged public transit goer". I switched over Blue Line and went to Sante Fe Depot. Off I went...ran a bunch of errands downtown, then did my boot camp. I have to practice up for the Mexico wedding. One day I am teaching the guests..."boot camp with Mandi". It will be a real treat. After boot camp, it was such a nice day with the sun blaring that I took a nice little ride on the Embarcadero. It was awesome....so flat, so pretty and riding on the water is so nice here in San Diego. Ran more errands and rode home--again--up that awesome Island hill. I also learned about my gears on the left. Kitty's brother was in town this weekend and told me the tricks of using my gears on the left. I only have used the ones of the right. Up Hill I'm at a 2. Down hill and most of the time, I'm at a 4. On 30th or 32nd street in Northpark--I'm at a 3. Adding the whole gear shabang to the left makes it much less challenging and slightly more complicated. I am still not quite sure what their purpose is, but, we'll get to know each other more over our tenure on our bike together. All & All......the trolley is super easy to use and very convenient. I was in Southpark, Hillcrest, University Heights, Mission Valley, Old Town, Downtown and Golden Hill all in 1 day in San Diego and NO CAR. It's easier than you think it is people...try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment